Thursday, October 8, 2009

All in a Name

Antiquarian can mean different things. It is defined in one instance via Dictionary.com as: "of the study or collection of antiquities". I stretch the meaning further with the addition of "Memories" to this blog's title. Thereby, producing a meaning that represents the purpose of this blog: "of the study or collection of antique/vintage/old memories". Et voila! We have defined my mission here.

After my travels to China (where my family originates), I have discovered many untold tales. Of shame. Of greed. Of guilt. Things my parents would prefer to hide under the rug. I cannot remember how many times my parents told me to not discuss this further with anyone else (family or otherwise) after explaining who just met or how we are related -- I met many a distant relative while on this sojourn. I lost track, but I'm sure my mother said "hush" many a time.

I refuse to keep quiet. I revel in the indiscretions and the flaws of my ancestors. It is these tales from which branches of families grow. It is these moments that define our future. And it is these sad stories that explain why we are here now and not another time.

And, quite frankly, it makes me proud to have a colorful past. The happy Brady Bunch families are boring. For a long time, I thought I came from such a family and, boy, was that boring to share!

The intrigues, they keep me going. The intrigues, they tell me of my past. The intrigues, that's how I've come to understand what being Chinese was like decades ago.

In the coming weeks and months I will reveal the many facets of my life and, in many ways, those of my relatives and family members. I will share a memory from my own childhood and stories I've only heard but never experienced. Someday, I hope to produce a book, a family memoir of sorts to share with my children and my cousin's children and maybe even my sister's children. In time, I will also create family genealogies, something sorely lacking in America are family genealogies of Asian heritages. I hope to contribute and make a positive mark on the lives of those I know and will come to know.

Shirley

No comments: